Sunday, July 15, 2012

The role of technology in my day to day life

Technology plays an interesting role in my life.  Professionally, it is central to what I do on a day-to-day basis. I'm a full time online math instructor for AP & College level math at JHU CTY Online, so virtual meetings, email, graphing software, etc. are my bread & butter. Communication of complex mathematical ideas is what I do, and I make sure to take advantage of and master all relevant tools.  Without doing so, I'd be out of a job!

Outside of work however, I purposefully keep my life as technology free as possible. 

I use a laptop that I purchased used in 2007 as my main computing device, largely for checking email, writing blogs, and following shows like Adventure Time & Community. My phone is only capable of sending and receiving phone calls.  No texting, no internet, it takes incredibly tiny pictures (480 x 640 pixels, which is just under 1/3rd of a megapixel).  I don't own a television, and my entertainment system is the same CD Player/alarm clock radio I've had since the last 90s. 

Does anyone else purposefully keep themselves tech-free in their lives outside of work? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.